Find articles to help you learn astronomy and how to stargaze.
Telescopes for astronomy
Working out the right telescope for you can be hard. Check out our guys for different people below:
- Best telescopes for beginners – find the best telescopes and learn what different types there are and what the different specifications mean.
- Best computerized telescopes – check out our recommendations for GoTo/computerized telescopes.
- Best kids telescopes – find the right telescope for your child with this overview and recommendations.
- Best telescopes for astrophotography – find the best telescopes to enable you to photograph deep space.
- Best telescope mounts – mounts are hugely important to be able to locate and track objects in space as the Earth rotates.
- Reflector vs refractor telescopes – what the different types mean for a telescope buyer.
- Telescope accessories – what do you need and what do they do? Covering eyepieces, barlow lenses, mounts, tripods, and finderscopes.
- Best intermediate telescopes – find recommended models for more ambitious stargazers.
- What’s the most powerful telescope you can buy? – read about our quest to track down the most powerful telescopes out there
- Celestron Nexstar: which model to buy? – comparing the SE, SLT, and Evolution ranges
- What telescope brands are reputable (and which to avoid)? – is the manufacturer important when buying a telescope?
Astronomy binoculars are a great tool to have for quick and easy stargazing:
- Best astronomy binoculars – check out the best binoculars for stargazing.
- Celestron SkyMaster 20×80 Binoculars – read our hands-on review of these great astronomy binoculars
Guides to help you learn astronomy and stargazing:
- What’s in the sky tonight from my location? – 7 best tools to use to work out what is visible for you from any time and location
- Astronomy for beginners – step-by-step guide to stargazing as a hobby.
- Light pollution and astronomy – understand how light pollution affects astronomy and what you can do about it.
- Famous astronomers – see our list of the greatest astronomers in human history.
- Best astronomy books – learn about space and astronomy with these selected books.
- Best astronomy and space calendars – the best space-themed wall calendars.
- Astronomical events to see – what to view month-by-month.
- Instagram Astronomy – 22 great astrophotographers you should follow
Some fun, in-depth articles investigating the big questions about space and our universe:
- How many planets are there in the universe? – Learn the jaw-dropping answer to the question ‘How many planets are there?’. Covering our Solar System, galaxy, and whole universe.
- How many habitable planets are there? – Find out how many potentially habitable planets have been discovered, and how many are estimated beyond that.
- What is the James Webb Space Telescope? – Heard of the James Webb Space Telescope and want to know more? Read this article for all the facts about the JWST.
- How many Mars rovers are there? – In the past 50 years there have been multiple Mars Rovers sent to the red planet from Earth. Read more here about the different misions.
- Is Pluto a planet? – Find out whether Pluto is a planet or not in 2019. Also facts on what Pluto is like and the details of NASA’s New Horizons mission.
- Is there a Planet 9? – Are on the verge of discovering a hidden 9th planet in our Solar System? NASA thinks so – find out why & why can’t we prove it yet.
- What is the largest star in the universe? – UY Scuti and VY Canis Majoris are two super giant stars that reside in our Milky Way. But what is the largest star in the universe?
- Terraforming Planets (the ultimate guide) – Learn about the process of terraforming a planet, including the key challenges, and where & when we might be able to start doing it.