Find articles to help you learn astronomy and how to stargaze.
Working out the right telescope for you can be hard. Check out our guys for different people below:
- Most Powerful Telescopes You Can Buy – Find the most powerful telescopes that you can buy off the shelf to use at home today
- Best Telescopes for Astrophotography – Find the best telescopes to enable you to photograph deep space.
- Best Telescopes for Beginners – Find the best telescopes and learn what different types there are and what the different specifications mean.
- Best Computerized Telescopes – Check out our recommendations for GoTo/computerized telescopes.
- Best Kids’ Telescopes – Find the right telescope for your child with this overview and recommendations.
- Best Intermediate Telescopes – Find recommended models for more ambitious stargazers.
- Best Portable & Travel Telescopes – We recommend the five best travel telescopes for different budgets
- Best 8-Inch Dobsonian Telescopes – Perfect for astronomy, find the best models available in 2023.
Telescope Model Reviews
- Celestron Nexstar: Which Model to Buy? – Comparing the SE, SLT, and Evolution ranges
- Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 vs 8 HD vs 8SE – What is the best 8-inch Celestron telescope?
- Celestron StarSense Explorer Telescopes: Which Model is Best for You? – Comparing the eight different StarSense Explorer telescope models.
- Best Smart Telescopes (Stellina vs eVscope 2 vs eQuinox vs Vespera) – check out our overview of these smart hybrid telescopes that have cameras built-in.
Understanding Telescopes & Accessories
- 14 Different Types of Telescope Mounts Explained – Learn about all the different mount types and what’s best for astronomy, from Alt-Az to EQ, Harmonic to Direct Drive.
- Altazimuth vs Equatorial Mounts – Understand the pros and cons of the two most common mount types – AZ & EQ
- What is a Harmonic Drive Telescope Mount? – Harmonic mounts are small, light, and disrupting the market.
- What Are Telescope Mount Encoders (and Which Models Have Them)? – What does it mean when a mount says it has encoders?
- What is a GOTO Telescope? – What does “GOTO” mean and is it right for you?
- How Much Does a Good Telescope Cost? – See our guide to help you understand how much you need to spend on a telescope and what you get for your money
- What is Telescope Aperture? – What is aperture and what do you need in a telescope
- Is Higher Aperture Better? – Aperture is a term used differently for telescopes and camera lenses, but is higher always better?
- Why Are Telescopes So Expensive? – The key reasons why telescopes are not cheap, what factors increase the price, and why you get what you pay for.
- Reflector vs Refractor Telescopes – What the different types mean for a telescope buyer.
- Maksutov-Cassegrain vs Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes – Examining the advantages and disadvantages of these popular designs to help you decide what is right for you.
- What Telescope Brands are Reputable (and Which to Avoid)? – Is the manufacturer important when buying a telescope?
- Best Barlow Lenses for Telescopes – Increase the magnification of your telescope with these budget components to compliment your eyepieces
Astronomy Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and Monoculars
Astronomy binoculars are a great tool to have for quick and easy stargazing:
- Best Astronomy Binoculars – check out the best binoculars for stargazing.
- Celestron SkyMaster 20×80 Binoculars – read our hands-on review of these great astronomy binoculars
- Best Tripod for Astronomy Binoculars – Larger astronomy binoculars need to be used with a tripod. Check out the best options available, including the best budget and lightweight options, and the best for heavy binoculars.
- Best Monoculars for Stargazing – We recommend the five best monoculars for stargazing & astrophotography for different budgets and explain what to look for when buying.
- Best Spotting Scopes for Astronomy – In this article, we have researched the best spotting scopes and outlined the pros and cons of using them versus telescopes, binoculars, and monoculars.
- Spotting Scopes vs Telescopes for Astronomy – What are the differences and what is best for astronomy?
- Spotting Scopes vs Binoculars for Astronomy – See the pros and cons of spotting scopes vs binoculars to help you decide what’s right for you.
- Spotting Scopes vs Monoculars for Astronomy – Find out what’s best for astronomy and stargazing
- Monoculars vs Binoculars for Astronomy – Binoculars and monoculars can both be used for astronomy and stargazing but what are the differences and what is best?
- Monocular vs Telescope: What are the Differences? – Understand the differences between telescopes and monoculars and identify what each is best for.
- Binoculars vs Telescopes for Astronomy – Can binoculars be as good as telescopes for astronomy?
Guides to help you learn astronomy and stargazing:
- What’s in the Sky Tonight from My Location? – 7 best tools to use to work out what is visible for you from any time and location
- Night Vision Astronomy – Read our beginners’ guide to night vision astronomy and astrophotography
- Electronically Assisted Astronomy (EAA) – Introduction to EAA and how it differs from regular astronomy.
- Astronomy for Beginners – step-by-step guide to stargazing as a hobby.
- Light Pollution and Astronomy – understand how light pollution affects astronomy and what you can do about it.
- Best Astronomy Books – learn about space and astronomy with these selected books.
- Best Astronomy and Space Calendars – the best space-themed wall calendars.
- Astronomical Events – find out what to view in the night sky month-by-month this year.
- Instagram Astronomy – 22 great astrophotographers you should follow
Some fun, in-depth articles investigating the big questions about space and our universe:
- How many planets are there in the universe? – Learn the jaw-dropping answer to the question ‘How many planets are there?’. Covering our Solar System, galaxy, and whole universe.
- How many habitable planets are there? – Find out how many potentially habitable planets have been discovered, and how many are estimated beyond that.
- What is the largest star in the universe? – UY Scuti and VY Canis Majoris are two super giant stars that reside in our Milky Way. But what is the largest star in the universe?
- 50 Famous Astronomers You Should Know – See our list of the most influential people in the history of astronomy
- The Ultimate Guide to Terraforming Planets – Can we terraform the Moon, Mars or other Exoplanets to make them habitable for human life?