Find articles to help you learn astronomy and how to stargaze.
Best Telescopes for Different People
Working out the right telescope for you can be hard. Check out our guys for different people below:
- Best Telescopes for Beginners – Find the best telescopes and learn what different types there are and what the different specifications mean.
- Best (Most Powerful) Telescope You Can Buy – Find the most powerful telescopes that you can buy off the shelf to use at home today
- Best Telescopes for Astrophotography – Find the best telescopes to enable you to photograph deep space.
- Best Computerized Telescopes – Check out our recommendations for GoTo/computerized telescopes.
- Best Kids’ Telescopes – Find the right telescope for your child with this overview and recommendations.
- Best Intermediate Telescopes – Find recommended models for more ambitious stargazers.
- Best Portable & Travel Telescopes – We recommend the 3 best travel telescopes for different budgets, as well as some alternatives in the shape of binoculars, monoculars, and spotting scopes.
Specific Telescope Model Reviews
- Celestron Nexstar: Which Model to Buy? – Comparing the SE, SLT, and Evolution ranges
- Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 vs 8 HD vs 8SE – What is the best 8-inch Celestron telescope?
- Celestron StarSense Explorer Telescopes: Which Model is Best for You? – Comparing the LT 80AZ, DX 102AZ, LT 114AZ, and DX 130AZ StarSense Explorer telescopes.
- Stellina vs eVscope vs Equinox – check out our overview of these smart hybrid telescopes that have cameras built-in.
Understanding Telescopes & Accessories
- How Much Does a Good Telescope Cost? – See our guide to help you understand how much you need to spend on a telescope and what you get for your money
- Why Are Telescopes So Expensive? – The key reasons why telescopes are not cheap, what factors increase the price, and why you get what you pay for.
- Reflector vs Refractor Telescopes – What the different types mean for a telescope buyer.
- Maksutov-Cassegrain vs Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes – Examining the advantages and disadvantages of these popular designs to help you decide what is right for you.
- What Telescope Brands are Reputable (and Which to Avoid)? – Is the manufacturer important when buying a telescope?
- Best Barlow Lenses for Telescopes – Increase the magnification of your telescope with these budget components to compliment your eyepieces
- Spotting Scopes vs Telescopes – What are the differences and what is best for astronomy?
Astronomy Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and Monoculars
Astronomy binoculars are a great tool to have for quick and easy stargazing:
- Best Astronomy Binoculars – check out the best binoculars for stargazing.
- Celestron SkyMaster 20×80 Binoculars – read our hands-on review of these great astronomy binoculars
- Best Tripod for Astronomy Binoculars – Larger astronomy binoculars need to be used with a tripod. Check out the best options available, including the best budget and lightweight options, and the best for heavy binoculars.
- Best Monoculars for Stargazing – We recommend the five best monoculars for stargazing & astrophotography for different budgets and explain what to look for when buying.
- Best Spotting Scopes for Astronomy – In this article, we have researched the best spotting scopes and outlined the pros and cons of using them versus telescopes, binoculars, and monoculars.
- Spotting Scopes vs Binoculars for Astronomy: Which is Best? – In this article, we explore the pros and cons of spotting scopes vs binoculars to help you decide what’s right for you.
Guides to help you learn astronomy and stargazing:
- What’s in the Sky Tonight from My Location? – 7 best tools to use to work out what is visible for you from any time and location
- Night Vision Astronomy – Read our beginners’ guide to night vision astronomy and astrophotography
- Electronically Assisted Astronomy (EAA) – Introduction to EAA and how it differs from regular astronomy.
- Astronomy for Beginners – step-by-step guide to stargazing as a hobby.
- Light Pollution and Astronomy – understand how light pollution affects astronomy and what you can do about it.
- Famous Astronomers – see our list of the greatest astronomers in human history.
- Best Astronomy Books – learn about space and astronomy with these selected books.
- Best Astronomy and Space Calendars – the best space-themed wall calendars.
- Astronomical Events 2022 – find out what to view in the night sky month-by-month this year.
- Instagram Astronomy – 22 great astrophotographers you should follow
Some fun, in-depth articles investigating the big questions about space and our universe:
- How many planets are there in the universe? – Learn the jaw-dropping answer to the question ‘How many planets are there?’. Covering our Solar System, galaxy, and whole universe.
- How many habitable planets are there? – Find out how many potentially habitable planets have been discovered, and how many are estimated beyond that.
- What is the James Webb Space Telescope? – Heard of the James Webb Space Telescope and want to know more? Read this article for all the facts about the JWST.
- How many Mars rovers are there? – In the past 50 years there have been multiple Mars Rovers sent to the red planet from Earth. Read more here about the different misions.
- Is Pluto a planet? – Find out whether Pluto is a planet or not in 2019. Also facts on what Pluto is like and the details of NASA’s New Horizons mission.
- Is there a Planet 9? – Are on the verge of discovering a hidden 9th planet in our Solar System? NASA thinks so – find out why & why can’t we prove it yet.
- What is the largest star in the universe? – UY Scuti and VY Canis Majoris are two super giant stars that reside in our Milky Way. But what is the largest star in the universe?
- Terraforming Planets (the ultimate guide) – Learn about the process of terraforming a planet, including the key challenges, and where & when we might be able to start doing it.