- Celestron Origin vs Vaonis Vespera Pro: 10 Second Summary
- Why choose the Celestron Origin over the Vaonis Vespera Pro?
- Why choose the Vaonis Vespera Pro over the Celestron Origin?
- Telescope Specifications
- Camera Specifications
- Size and Weight
- Price and Value for Money
- Vaonis Vespera Pro vs Celestron Origin Verdict
- Related content and more information
Celestron Origin vs Vaonis Vespera Pro: 10 Second Summary
- The Celestron Origin has a higher aperture and faster focal ratio telescope than the Vaonis Vespera Pro.
- It also has the capacity for the camera and mount to be upgraded in the future.
- However, it is more expensive, much heavier, and less portable.
- The Vaonis Vespera Pro is compact, lightweight, and portable. It weighs just 5 kg, compared to the 19 kg of the Celestron Origin.
- It has a lower aperture telescope, but a much higher resolution camera.
- It also boasts a wider field of view and a mosaic mode that allows the capture of widefield images, and it is cheaper.
Why choose the Celestron Origin over the Vaonis Vespera Pro?
The Celestron Origin is a premium smart telescope from American astronomy manufacturer Celestron that was released in 2024.
The advantages over the Vaonis Vespera Pro are:
- The Celestron Origin has 6-inch aperture telescope which is far above the 2-inches of the Vaonis Vespera Pro and it is a specialist astrophotography type called a Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) that is well-loved and proven by experienced astrophotographers.
- The telescope also has a longer focal length and much faster focal ratio, which means it will gather the light and capture images much faster.
- It also has the capacity for the mount and camera to be replaced and upgraded in the future, which no other smart telescope has.
In terms of downsides versus the Vaonis Vespera Pro:
- It is much larger and heavier and so cannot compete in terms of the portability and ease of storage of the Vespera Pro.
- It has a lower resolution camera
- It has a smaller field of view and does not have a Mosaic Mode for piecing together larger images automatically like the Vespera Pro.
- It is significantly more expensive.
Why choose the Vaonis Vespera Pro over the Celestron Origin?
The Vaonis Vespera Pro is a 2024 compact, premium smart telescope from French manufacturer Vaonis.
The main reasons to consider it over the Celestron Origin are:
- Size and weight – it is much more portable and easier to store.
- Higher resolution – the camera can capture much higher resolution images and has an in-built mosaic mode
- Field of view – it has a wider field of view to capture larger astronomical objects
- Price – it is substantially cheaper.
The main downside is the lower light gathering capacity of the telescope, which means it will be a lot slower to capture images.
The Celestron Origin has:
- 152mm (6 inch) aperture
- 335mm focal length
- f/2.2 focal ratio
- 1.27° x 0.85° field of view
The Vaonis Vespera Pro has:
- 50mm (2 inch) aperture
- 250mm focal length
- f/5 focal ratio
- 1.6° x 1.6° field of view
The Celestron Origin has a 6.4MP resolution camera of 3096 x 2080 size using a Sony IMX178 sensor and a pixel size of 2.4μm.
The Vaonis Vespera Pro has a 12.5MP resolution camera of 3536 x 3536 size using a Sony IMX676 sensor and a pixel size of 2 µm.
Size and Weight
The Celestron Origin weighs 18.9kg (41.6 lb) and has dimensions of 122 x 66 x 61 ((H x W x L in cm).
The Vaonis Vespera Pro weighs 5kg (11 lb) and has dimensions of 48 x 20 x 9 ((H x W x L in cm).
Price and Value for Money
The Celestron Origin costs $3,999, and the Vaonis Vespera Pro costs $2,499.
Note, these may vary so check the links to compare retailers if thinking about buying.
|Vaonis Vespera Pro
|152mm (6 inch)
|50mm (2 inch)
|Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph
|Field of View
|1.27° x 0.85°
|1.6° x 1.6°
|3096 x 2080
|3536 x 3536
|Size (H x W x L) cm
|122 x 66 x 61
|48 x 20 x 9
|18.9kg (41.6 lb)
|5kg (11 lb)
Vaonis Vespera Pro vs Celestron Origin Verdict
The Celestron Origin is the option for you if you have the budget and would value the higher aperture and faster focal ratio telescope over a smaller and more portable option.
The capacity to potentially upgrade the camera and mount yourself in the future should also not be discounted.
The Vaonis Vespera Pro is a great option for you if you would prefer a smaller and more portable model that offers the slick usability of a premium smart telescope at a lower price.
It will be slower to capture images, but the wider field of view and mosaic mode capabilities mean that it does also compete as a serious astrophotography tool and not just a good looking toy.
Related content and more information
- Best Smart Telescopes Comparison
- Vaonis website
- Vespera review
- Vespera II review
- Vespera Pro review
- Celestron Origin website
- Celestron Origin review
- Celestron Origin vs Dwarflab DWARF II
- Celestron Origin vs Unistellar eQuinox
- Celestron Origin vs Unistellar eQuinox 2
- Celestron Origin vs Unistellar eVscope 2
- Celestron Origin vs Unistellar Odyssey
- Celestron Origin vs Unistellar Odyssey Pro
- Celestron Origin vs Stellina
- Celestron Origin vs Vaonis Vespera
- Celestron Origin vs Vaonis Vespera II